Beef & Bean Stuffed Capsicum
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 brown onion, peeled and diced
500g lean beef mince
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon paprika
Pinch black pepper
2 tablespoons reduced-salt tomato paste
1 medium zucchini, grated (optional)
2 carrots, peeled and grated
400g can reduced-salt corn kernels, rinsed and drained
400g can diced tomatoes
400g can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
¼ cup grated reduced-fat cheddar cheese
3 tomatoes, diced
Small handful basil leaves
3 capsicums, green or red, cut in half, deseeded and core removed
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
2. Preheat a large frying pan on medium heat. Add olive oil and cook onion for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
3. Add mince and brown for 5 minutes, stirring to break up lumps.
4. Mix through cumin, coriander, paprika and black pepper. Cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
5. Add tomato paste, zucchini, carrot, corn, canned and fresh tomatoes, and beans. Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
6. Meanwhile place capsicums on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Allow to cook for 10 minutes.
7. Remove capsicums from oven and scoop mince filling into each one. Sprinkle with basil leaves and cheese. Place back into oven and cook for a further 10 minutes or until capsicums are tender and roasted.
NB: For extra spice you can try adding a teaspoon of chilli flakes to the mince filling. The beef can be substituted for chicken or turkey mince.