Makes 2 cups
This dip goes well with some oven-baked wholemeal Lebanese bread or some wholegrain toast. When making Lebanese bread dippers, drizzle a very small quantity of olive oil over the bread and scatter some fresh rosemary leaves over the top. Bake in an oven for a few minutes (at 160 degrees Celsius) until crisp and lightly golden, then break up and serve with the dip.
- 500 g (about 3 medium) beetroot
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 200 g natural yoghurt, any variety
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- wholemeal Lebanese bread, for serving
1. Place the whole beetroot in a large saucepan, cover with water and bring to the boil. Cook for about 30 minutes or until tender (test with a skewer – it should go through easily).
2. Remove the beetroot and set aside to cool for a few minutes. Peel them while they are still warm and roughly chop.
3. Blend the beetroot, garlic, yoghurt, cumin and lemon juice until smooth and well combined.
4. Serve with wholemeal Lebanese bread, your choice of vegetable dippers, or on wholegrain bread with some rocket, avocado and sliced radish.