Sweet potato chilli con carne
Spice this up or down to suit your tastes, but take my advice and make a double batch. It’s a great recipe to heat up for lunch over the following few days, and freezes well for an easy weeknight meal when you don’t have time to cook something from scratch.
- 3 small sweet potatoes, peeled if desired
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Cajun spice mix
- dried chilli flakes, to taste
- dried oregano, to taste
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 red capsicum, seeds and membrane removed, diced
- 1 x 400 g tin red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 160 g roma tomatoes or similar, roughly chopped
- flat-leaf parsley leaves, to garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C and line a baking dish with baking paper.
2. Place the sweet potato in the prepared dish. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil and sprinkle over the Cajun spice mix, chilli flakes and oregano. Bake for 30 minutes or until tender. Remove and set aside to cool slightly.
3. Meanwhile, heat the remaining olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat, add the onion and capsicum and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Add kidney beans, tomato paste, tomato, and 1 cup (250 ml) water. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until thickened.
4. When the sweet potato is cool enough to handle, cut it into small cubes and add it to the bean mixture. Garnish with parsley and serve.