The brothers loaf
Makes 1 large loaf to serve plenty
- 5 bananas
- 125g honey
- 250g almonds
- 6 small or 5 large eggs
- 50g dried chickpeas
1. Strain off egg whites from yolks (easily achieved by allowing the egg to strain through your hands) and whisk egg whites in a separate mixing bowl until soft peaks form.
2. Mash bananas, blend almonds and chickpeas to fine consistency. Add honey and egg yolks and mix together with electric mixer.
3. Gentle fold in the banana mixture to the egg whites.
4. Pour into loaf tray that has been lined with baking paper.
5. Put in cold oven at 160°C for 60-90 minutes. NB: When cooked, the knife should not be sticky when removed from the loaf.
6. Place the loaf on a cooling rack and allow to sit for 30 minutes.
Tip: There are endless alternatives to this recipe and our family has over 12 different varieties with different ingredient substitutions. Try adding other ingredients such as chia seeds, or using hazelnuts or walnuts in place of almonds or as a half/half quantity.
This is a wonderful and filling snack that can be enjoyed throughout the week and keeps well in the fridge. Lightly toast, if preferred, before eating.