- 1 x 420 g tin five-bean mix, drained and rinsed
- 1 x 300 g tin butter beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup (70 g) breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon curry paste
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons chopped coriander
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 pumpkin or grain-seed rolls, lightly toasted
- large handful rocket and baby spinach leaves
- ½ punnet (125 g) cherry or grape tomatoes, chopped
1. Place all the beans in a food processor or blender and pulse until the beans are roughly chopped.
2. Combine 1/2 cup (35 g) breadcrumbs, the curry paste, egg, coriander, lemon juice and a pinch of pepper in a bowl. Add the beans and mix well with a wooden spoon.
3. Form the mixture into four large patties and lightly coat in the remaining breadcrumbs, shaking off the excess.
4. Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add the patties and cook for 3–4 minutes each side or until golden brown and cooked through.
5. Fill the burger buns with the patties, rocket and spinach, and chopped tomatoes.
Tip: Home-made breadcrumbs serve perfectly well for this recipe, as they do for any recipe that calls for breadcrumbs. Simply break up some stale bread and add to the food processor to pulse into fine crumbs.